Ruby Muse Slippers

October 12, 2017





I am again wallowing
in unrequited territory
fantasy swampland
masquerading as
a faery filled field
a top a hill
by the azure sea

my feet sink 
and get stuck
in the mud
of self abasement

I must sacrifice my shoes
to free myself
from the mess
the quicksand


I have to let go
of the fantasy
to float up
and out 
of the quagmire
yet
I cling to 
my shoes
my notion that
I have treaded many many 
miles 
in my mind space
a wilderness
of what-ifs

I consider settling
for what-is
what?
What is expected?
and so What shows up?

I find this 
also does not fit
I ask
Do I wear it
until the leather stretches
and bear
the pain of being
rubbed the wrong way?

I have holes in my
socks 
still
they leave ligature
marks
around my ankles
as if I was bound
tightly
through the dark hours.

I know only this

I could use
a foot massage
and 
brand new shoes


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Love the twist at the end. Made me smile and recall a recent foot massage.
    Plus this favorite line:
    "...in the mud
    of self abasement..."

    Thanks, Jen. xoA



    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this one again and again. Formidable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words absorb me every time . . .

    ReplyDelete

Instagram