Mantra

October 07, 2017




I have fallen
eight times
in seven years
toes tripping
over root
and
craggle 
crack
unseen
on the sidewalk
on the trail
on the path
on the treadmill
spat out
left behind
in a heap
of crumpled 
long limbed
intentions
and
shame

while the others 
bobbing up and down
in lululemon leggings 
look away
no hand offered


I collapsed
in uncontrollable
descent to the earth
as if 
an angry spirit
shoved me
like the bullish girls
in the junior high playground
each and every
jarring impact
of flesh
bone
and
solid ground
demanded
two  full moons
to heal
Now
My knees
jut and point
out the places
where I hit
hardest
dragging
the
rough
edges
against
my 
silk
skirt
my left foot
lags
ever so slightly
as if afraid to take 
an unfortunate step
My spirit
terrified 
to try

Somewhere
out of nowhere
or maybe like my ruby slipper sneakers
I always had it
I find the will
and 
refuse to submit
to calcify
to give up
so instead
I pull tight
laces
ID bands
and ACEs
and take one step
and then another

my spirit
chants

Strong

Stable

Present

Over
and 
Over

my knees
 lift
and bend
my feet
 find
foothold
taking
each step
and leave
 the falling
behind






"There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss" - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

OctPoWriMo 17 Day 6
Image Courtesy of http://womensrunning.competitor.com/

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Great poem, Jenny! I felt the trepidation and carefulness. I loved this image and how you expressed it:
    "my left foot
    lags
    ever so slightly
    as if afraid to take
    an unfortunate step
    My spirit
    terrified
    to try"

    Thank you. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem and love the style and pattern it shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much strength in this. It shows your resilience , Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram