Acedia

October 18, 2017




I witnessed
a murder
today

Idly sitting
 sipping tea
staring off towards
nothing
my vision
blurred
by daydreams


I stood
up slowly
a yawning reach
towards 
nothing in particular

the desultory
view
through
the smeard hazy glass

Catching
a glance
of the crime 
seen
below 
me

My cool fingers
curled around 
the smooth bone china cup
as I watched

when they mobbed
the brown one
when they slammed her down
to the grease stained
sidewalk
taking turns
kicking and twisting
her body

For the tiniest moment
I wondered...
what was she doing here?
She does not belong here...
Did they attack her 
because her kind
has destroyed 
their homes
their families
taken the lives of their children
in the maw of her own beliefs?
Does that justify
the murderous actions?

Self preservation a serpant 
swallowing its tale

I shrug
turning away
to get more tea




Revised version.  

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I liked the story. If you hadn't said so, we couldn't have known it was birds you were talking about, and it is fun seeing both possible sides to this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the inspiration was timely with other things happening in the world.

      Delete

Instagram