Nyctalopia

October 01, 2017




I keep
close
company
with darkness

it scarves
my mind
with supple
kidskin
and 
tight
coils
of
logic
like
tarnished
silver
maille

Here
I see

nothing
but the black
words
leaking 
onto
liquid
crystal
intentions

I hear
only the clank 
and scratch
of fork and knife
against
vitrified
bone

the low
hum
of words
background noise
to the clattering cafe percussion

The street below
is a blur
of treacly shadows
and
 rare amber glow

a woman's laughter
crawls through my window
an intruder
in my room

I resent it
with all its hiccup
and cackle
it reeks
of entitlement
and last night's
tequila


I am
blinded

Still
 I listen

I nightsdrop
on life




You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I really like this and can relate to so much of it. My favorite imagery is "a woman's laughter
    crawls through my window
    an intruder
    in my room

    I resent it
    with all its hiccup
    and cackle
    it reeks
    of entitlement
    and last night's
    tequila"

    So vividly descriptive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The imagery in this poem piles up by connecting outside stimulus with inner thought. What a lovely and almost dark journey. Writers/poets do observe closely, sometimes at a distance, sometimes drawn into other stories. Thank you for being a part of OctPoWriMo this year and sharing your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I am very grateful for being part of this and look forward to where it will take all of us.

      Delete
  3. I love the word "nightsdrop" :) Happy to meet you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful poem... very evocative of a moment captured in time. I especially liked this:

    The street below
    is a blur
    of treacly shadows
    and
    rare amber glow

    Just lovely! And thank you for stopping by my blog, I look forward to enjoying your poetry this month. ~bru

    ReplyDelete

Instagram