Requiem

April 12, 2017



For those without reason
and way before time
I hold you
in
precious
sacred
heart space
and the knowing
that I will never
in fact
know
why



Phyllis

My only
tall
slender
aunt
always
dressed to the nines
in
lean pantsuits
with
silk scarfs
and menthol
Pall Malls
bowls of pistachios
and Bit 0 Honey
always on
 your welcome table
my fingers
and lips
always
stained red

You said you would take me shopping
That I was the daughter you never had
I chose the locket with your picture to remember you by

You were only 39 when you left this world
without a goodbye


Christine

The girl
with walnut brown hair
and emerald eyes
Always sitting
in the front of the class

You offered to help me
catch up on chemistry
smiling broadly
back at me
never taking turns
in taunting 
like so many others.

You were the only 
kind one 
who sent a card
when my 
father 
died

You had everything 
it seemed
 But something pulled
you down
then you pulled down
your father's shotgun

You were only 14 when you left this world
without a goodbye


Brenda

The duckling Swan
of high school
but before then
you shared a desk
with me and our stuffies
We ate kissing sticks 
like candy
and kept our bright plastic combs
in our back pockets
Gave me
 the prized Paperback
and
 you devoured
The Renaissance 
and
you resented
Me, Myself and I
I never had the chance to explain
the teenage angst driven words

In the peak of your pygmalion year
after celebrating  the swim meet win
drove with your tall freckled friend
down route 2
head-on into another car

You were only 14 when you left this world
without a goodbye



Pat

The man
I met through another
I kept company with 
for a decade

You were the unexpected one
a chubby rider
who could climb
I cheered when
You flew up Hager Drive

Years later
on Valentines
you knocked on my door
all lithe and strong
with a bottle of Rhone
and romantic intentions
Three months worth
Rides
Races
and
Rhone
Your smooth well muscled
thighs
tangled
with
mine
Your soft hot
mouth
sighing
into 
mine
I did not see the end coming
But somehow was not surprised
just pained it was so soon
Three months later
the email came
so I rushed
to see you
I met your parents
for the first time
in the hospital waiting room
Your team, your family, your fiancé
holding vigil.


You were only 27 when you left this world
without a goodbye



May you all rest in peace








Day 12

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram