Andrew

April 05, 2017

Image result for kindness black and white hands


I never knew you
yet
Her voice
full of honey and cinnamon
cracked
like sugar glass
when she told me your name

She mused on
your
tireless
kindness
 and compassion

insisting
on buying
a man on the street
a decent pair of shoes

of giving
the coat
off your own shoulder
so that another
would not
be cold

"I say, pumpkin
should't we pay the bill?
when he would
get me something
just to make me smile"
and he would just laugh
pull me close
 -- "I be taking care
of my wife"

I watched
her smooth as velvet
hands
grasp
the steering wheel
just a little tighter

"we didn't even get to celebrate our tenth anniversary
or take our honeymoon.
By the time
they knew
there was little time left'

I lost my father that way too
I said softly

Her eyes blinking
back
her own sorrow
to reach out
to me
like you
with kindness and compassion

What was his name?
I asked
opening up space
between us

Moments later
I opened the chariot door
to the rest
of my ordinary day

My
 stained glass
 heart
full
of
light
and
love

Your gift to me


*In memory of Andrew



NaPoWriMo 2017  GloPoWriMo 
Day 5 -

*Photo Credit - KAT HOLLANDER | NOV 27, 2014:EVERMYSTYLE



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram