Early Morning at Cafe Jazz

April 19, 2017




Light slipped
soft and pink
between the blinds
dawn's gentle fingers
urging open the day

I wait
at the table
my tea growing cold
legs growing numb
waiting
waiting
for her

Finally
she waddles
in
all
sleep crease and crust
wearing only
a tattered robe
mismatched socks
and a face folded
 in on itself


Good Morning Sunshine, I say

She mutters something
about needing
coffee and aspirin
the windows
open
blinds
shut

Her voice
breaks the air
with sandpaper
and shards of glass

This makes her sound cross
but I know
she is just waking up
after a rough night

she mutters....
I must look
written hard
put back wet

as she takes a seat in front of me
the fold of her robe
gapes open
to reveal a glitter dusted cleavage
above
a
black lace
ivory boned
corset

How do you sleep in that thing? - I ask
(quite cosy in my fleece)

who said I slept? - she utters
gutteral goo
oozing
down her chin

Can you hand me my cigarettes? she asks

My eyes widen
as the Gitane Blond
appears
at the table

Since when do you smoke? -
not quite shocked as much as startled
 - a shrill of an alarm
- a chill up the spin
Wide awake now, I think

There is a lot you have not noticed lately - she purrs pulling
out
a
long
white
specimen
putting
it in
her
hot
mouth

It sticks
to the scarlet
remnants
of last night
bobbing
up
and
down
with
her
muffled
laughter

She points
one
perfectly
manicured
flame
tipped
finger
at
something
in front of me

my new pen

and rasps

"Can I have a light?"






Day 19 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram