Puddle Jumping

April 16, 2018




Image Courtesy of Scooter Lorimore




Spring rains 
down upon The City

Streets slick
with oil
leached up
from pavement

Sidewalks strewn
with pink cherry 
blossoms battered
off the trees

and the puddles - they are everywhere

street corners
stairwells
and random
low lying
intersections
flood
with rain water
and
detritus

I wrap myself
in the ordinary
uniform
of
Monday
dread
those meetings
spreadsheets
and the gnawing sense
that no matter what I do I will never be finished
soak me 
to the bone

That is when I hear 


Hunter-Wellington
calling out 
Come out, Come out wherever you are

That is when I do it

everyone else rushing
through the 4 way 
STOP
tightly gripping
umbrellas
briefcases
and
intentions

I stomp
wildly
into the deepest
of the puddles

Some scowl

I make my way across the street
puddle jumping
as though I were a stone
skipping across
a calm lake

Some giggle

Ka - Sploosh
I high step
through 
eddying edged
curbs

An old man 
in an old overcoat
Smiles as I pass
gloppy drops fall
from his kettle curl

"Nice boots!"

I wear my sunshine all day







You Might Also Like

1 comments

Instagram