Bonk

April 16, 2016


                                                         


On that cold Tuesday morning
I wolfed down 
the standard
fifty cent
freshman fare

orange juice and chocolate chip cookies

I sprinted through snow dusted 
campus back field
towards the freeway
frenzy of my first day
at The Happy Trail

Taking stock
and tally
of sustenance
and overpriced
healthy intentions

I heard the news
while standing by
the blast
chiller

before running
below the creaking cracking planks
to the concrete cellar
where I begged God
to stop me from 
ejecting all I had
from my body

All I was
all I knew
was blackness
nothingness
until one pin prick of light
exploded
my head on the ground
my excrement soaking through

dragged and driven
to the cacaphonic rescue
of needle sticks
glucose drips
and a rancid orderly's 
bulging scrubs
pressed hard
against my lifeless hand

Like those challenged that day
I knew no merciful
loss of pressure
only the silence
of my unheard 
screams






NaPoWriMo Day #16



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram