Retaining Life

April 24, 2014


The writing is on it

But not everyone can read it
even if you insist, loudly with haughty derision

It was built
high and crooked
with each trust betrayed
the promise to come back, to be there
to keep you safe
forgotten
sliding another brick
in line against the last
the moratorium childhood sealed

We scale them, climb them
build them 
around 
surround us
surrogate parents
force fields against the memories
the mealless nights and the prayer meetings
the back room closet and the chair
the worst words we are not going home

Now how I long 
for you
to push me hard
up against it
past my limits
my boundaries tossed aside like damp lace
The music playing

Since my friend you have revealed your deepest fear
I sentence you to be exposed before your peers

Tear down the wall





You Might Also Like

2 comments

Instagram