Counterirritants

April 28, 2014

Voices carry me

through the wide open doors
where I set up camp
at The Shop

Easy eaves dropped
on the crammed in tables
percolating conversation 
poured over coffee

I am wedged between
beauty
and revulsion
trying to evade 
being recognized for the spy I am

Beauty wore muscles and a tight t-shirt today
Revulsion is at my side in the reflection  
I avert my gaze
and look instead with my ears 

There was a race
through wilderness and pavement mountains
“I carried my gun”
Beauty said proudly
Revulsion stirred like clotted cream in cold coffee
asking for more sordid details
as one such as that would

Beauty went on
beyond the tales of endurance
of overcoming obstacles so big 
I grew nervous
a tickle trickle of sweat
running between my breasts
my breath catching as I caught myself
leaning in

not because I longed
to curl up in his lap
like I did when I first spied his chiseled jaw and wolf blue eyes
but because his story
unfolded 
foreign and off putting
in that way becoming
irresistible
like a spider the stray must stalk
however poisonous

He makes his goodbyes
with justifications and duty callings

I watch
from the mirror
as beauty leaves
behind revulsion
smiling back at me

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram