Patricia

April 22, 2016


I never called
you that
your name
carried
with no hint
of rhyme
but of title
granted
to those who
shared sacred space
in my childhood
memories

You were there
that 4th of July 
as the Parade
made it's way
down Elm Street
and I made
my way 
down the greenstick
 fracture
hill

You took us in
your hand
marked with
 sapphire
love
Your habits
color coordinated
with the seasons
on Off Lord Road

You led
us into 
the darkened
velvet 
rosarium
shy of the gifts
given to the others
you sang softly
close to 
the scarlet sanctuary lamp 
Again I would fall
backwards
into expectant arms

It was you
I called
when I leapt 
too high
fell forward
trying to escape
the inevitable
Your spirit song
calming 
 as crimson 
poured down my face

It was you
they called
for catered banquets
slews of salad rolls
and slaw

for wedding cakes
of buttercream confections
layered back pantry intentions

They came
from miles
for hot summer
sandwiches
grinders made fresh
out of an
aluminum
airstream
arrangement

You made a home
for yourself
your brother
and 
the one who knew all
in the dark
dank under belly
of another's life

I did not know
what befallen
you
once I left

but


I heard
you 
gave
a home to
angels

I heard
you
found
a home
shelter 
in the
dew of the sea

Now
In your silence
I hear
sweet
spirit
song
in your memory






Patricia Malonson 
Sept. 7, 1941 - Feb. 10, 2016



NaPoWriMo 2016 #22

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram