Imogen

April 09, 2016



I play
Hide and Seek
with myself
and me
It is a game
or something
I learned long ago

buried deep in musty closets
under creaking iron beds
woven in the story 
I gave and gave and gave
to therapists
to family
to friends

All enraptured
hooked 
on the thread
so tightly snagged
around 
what they wanted

to protect
to discover
something
so precious

  "On her left breast..a mole cinque-spotted, like the crimson drops 
on the bottom of a cowslip"

that for a brief moment
appears close
enough 
to touch
to fear
to forget
and quick
look the other way.

I have walked the earth
two years more
than my father
seeking
my peace

To forgive
is easier than to forget

Except for this...

I will never forgive my father for killing them



**Based on NaPoWriMo prompt to write a poem that includes a line that you are afraid to write and Imogen in Shakespeare's play Cymbeline

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram