9th Step

October 03, 2015




I am alone
except for those
that run 
hot and cold
circles 
around me

A howling maelstrom 
whips wild
long brown hair and intentions
like an afterthought
onto the sidewalk

oh sweet friend
all blush and coy
you pull my truth
out like a splinter

I long to be free
of the fierce transfixion
but dread birthing 
the jagged point
that rips both ways

My swollen lower lip
throbs
threatening
 to split
a gossamer scar
betraying
 a slip
in judgement long ago

When in the shadow of his glistening hopeful words
       I could shine no light

A decade had passed
when I received his release papers
an oblation
a curse 

Forever entrapped
I must remain 
burdened
blistered
in the shadow of silent amends



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. My favorite line: "You pull my truth out like a splinter." What a dark poem with swirling attraction, history, and sorrow. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you pull my truth out like a splinter" also my favorite line. Beautiful darkness.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram