Rough Draft Cafe

April 04, 2014

I sit at my table

in the cafe across from my flat
its the second time this week 
I have settled for ordinary food and the company of strangers

A large bald man holding a notebook bursts in, looks right at me, I remember him
From a random exchange at the bar two weeks prior 
His name ping pongs in my memory just out of my grasp
When he stops at my table he mentions that his notebook
quadrile composition, is not as good as mine.  
Neither of us talk of what we will be writing
only the form and texture 
of our tools
Abruptly he leaves me
wondering if we are kindred souls
is as pointless a thought
as if words can spread
across boxes as well as read
between the lines.

The morning after
with the murder of crows clustered to the power lines
I gawk down at the hung over
minions waiting for brunch, swilling mimosa, nursing four barrel coffee and five alarm headaches
They overflow the side walk in their ugg boots and summer shorts.

My tea grows bitter 
my stare growing envious of their giddy nonchalance
When The bald man moves out from behind the clutch of girls
and looks up at my window.
Even though I do not know
Can he see me?
I just close the blinds.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram