Mary

April 13, 2014

I never knew you
as that, only Gram
Who lived on the other side
of the house 
with sprawling double verandas
as if Dorothy's tornado travels
had brought a souvenir
from the deep south
to a dead end street
named after a joke

I see you 
in long flowered 
housecoats tending 
long flower beds
summer afternoons

I see you
sitting in Your chair
at the kitchen table
drinking tea
while we watched your tv
as you most perfectly
would deliver the set up
to our teenaged punch line
     what was he on to pick a name like that
     would you sit that way if a man was in the room

I hear you
hush and scold
with furrowed brows over your watery hazel eyes
as our laughter
echoed too loudly
through the pewter pot

I remember
Your Talking to Moses
Your teetering hiccup-like laugh
Your exasperated “Cappy…”
The separate beds but tales sneaking from one bedroom to the other
The coloring of Easter eggs using onion skins
The iridescent peach and rose Carnival glass 

I never knew you
or what you went through
after I left
The losses you had
of loves and health
and later mind
I only saw pictures of a woman
Once fleshful
dissolve into
the tepid tea of old age

I know despite it all
you were loved
and that is all there is
now left to say


Mary Magill
June 12, 1919 - April 13, 2014





You Might Also Like

1 comments

Instagram